Layers are stylish, and short hair is very edgy! If you want to change your regular hairstyle, opt for any short layered hairstyles listed below.
Short hair does not come with the hassles of long hair. You do not have to spend hours detangling and styling your hair. It also reduces the chances of hair fall, split ends, hair breakage, and hair damage. Throw in some layers, and you have got a bomb of a hairstyle. The layers help enhance your hair’s depth and dimension, making it look fuller and more voluminous. The right layers can also accentuate your facial features.
Here are the 27 coolest short and layered hairstyles you can try out.
But first, learn how to cut your hair in layers on your own! Scroll down.
Before You Get Started
- Short layered hairstyles are suitable for oval, heart-shaped, round, and square face shapes.
- People with coarse hair texture might benefit from these hairstyles the most as the layers will look prominent on their hair.
- Moisturizing shampoos and conditioners are a must for maintaining short layers.
- Short hair may be highly frizz-prone. Therefore, hydration and sleeping on a silk pillowcase are a must.
How To Cut Your Hair In Layers
What You Need
- Hand-held mirror
- Stationary mirror
- Elastic bands
How To Do
- Comb your hair back, so it falls behind your shoulders. Make sure it is free from knots and tangles.
- Hold all your hair with one hand and tie an elastic band where you want to cut it. Stand in front of the stationary mirror and hold the hand-held mirror behind your head to see the back of your head. Slide the band a little higher. Cut your hair in a deep V below the elastic band.
- Remove the elastic band and check your hair.
- For the next part, use the mirrors to check your hair at every snip. You can also ask a trusted friend to help you.
- Take the hair at the front and comb it down on your face. Hold this hair with your index and middle fingers and cut it at the length you want it.
- Using the point-cut method (holding your scissors pointing upwards), add layers to your hair at the sides.
- If you want layers at the back, get them cut by an expert.
Now, let’s get to the fun part! Here are 25 incredible short layered hairstyles that you will definitely want to try!
27 Stellar Short Layered Hairstyles
1. Messy Choppy Layered Pixie
Choppy layers add dimension, depth, and texture to fine hair. The messy and tousled layers at the crown make the hair appear voluminous and add an edgy softness to the overall look. You can use a pomade to enhance the layers and rake them with your fingers to get this classic bedhead look.
2. Graduated Bob
Inverted or graduated bobs have been the epitome of chic for ages. The asymmetrical layers with tapered ends make it easier to style and complement all hair textures. The front layers highlight the jawline, enhancing the face shape. Coloring the layers in shades of blonde and brown adds depth to the hairstyle.
3. Wavy A-line Shag ’Do
When I was a teenager, this hairdo was on every show I watched. I was completely enamored by it. These shaggy layers slim down your face. If you have a round face or wide cheeks, get these shaggy layers cut near your cheeks to make them look thin. You can add some navy highlights to accentuate your layers.
4. Layered Lob
Wavy hair brings layers into focus. This layered wavy bob adds volume to your hair and makes it look thick. Adding some highlights a few shades lighter than your natural hair color will add dimension and texture to your hair.
5. Classic Layered French Bob
The classic bob is always chic. Add some layers to give it a classy twist. It will make your hair look fuller. Keep the front simple while adding multiple layers at the back. To make it look even more voluminous, add slight curls to the layers at the back.
You may also add side-swept bangs to these layers if you have a long or oval face shape. It will help make your face appear smaller.
6. French Lob
Thin hair has its perks. For instance, you can sport chic haircuts like this lovely French lob. The layers are well-defined and add dimension to her hair. The hairstyle accentuates her facial features. If you have an oval or diamond face, consider getting baby bangs with this lob. They will look great on you.
7. Curly Layers
If you have thin hair, the best way to make it look bouncy and thick is to curl your hair. Use a heat protectant and a 1.5-inch curling iron to style your hair in these messy curls. You can add more texture and dimension to these curls with the help of a texturizing spray.
8. Shaggy Bob
This hair look is for all the women who are confused between getting a bob and a shag haircut. The layers accentuate the bob and make it look youthful. You can add a splash of color on the side to jazz it up.
9. Multiple Layers Bob
If you have thick hair and still want layers, try this haircut. Get layers cut on the top few sheets of hair. Multiple layers can give your hair a luscious look. Getting multiple layers can also add fullness and volume to thin hair.
10. The Classic Shag ‘Do
Meg Ryan was the poster child for this kind of hairstyle back in the ‘90s. Remember You’ve Got Mail and Addicted To Love? She sported short shaggy hairstyles like these, with the ends flicked out. It streamlines your face and makes it look slender.
11. Layered Graduated Bob
The graduated bob is one of the trendiest hairstyles of 2018. Spice it up by getting some layers, and it almost looks like a new hairstyle! Some partial highlights add a nice contrast to naturally dark hair.
12. Lightly Layered Bob
Less is better, and less can be a lot when done right. Check out this hairstyle with less layers. The hair in front is layered while the back is cut in the same length.
Lightly-layered bob looks good on straight hair. If you have thin hair, it is best to get this hairstyle to make it appear thicker.
13. Gradual Layers Pixie
This haircut starts out short but gets longer at the back. This means that the layers are concentrated at the sides. This cut works really well on oval faces. If you have a round face, consider getting bangs and a deep side parting.
14. Highlighted Layers
Highlighted layers look incredibly stellar. They accentuate the layers and your natural hair color. Go for colors that complement your skin tone and are a few shades lighter than your natural hair shade.
15. Layered Bangs Pixie
If you’re an emo girl, this hairdo has your name written all over it. Cutting layers in your bangs can add a nice twist to your pixie. It also makes way for you to style your pixie in many other hairstyles, like a killer mohawk.
16. Underside Layered Lob
A stark layered contrast with short, dark hair on one side and layered hair on the other looks effortlessly cool. Try darker roots with blonde hair. If you want to cut your hair, pin one side up to give it the undercut look. Style your hair in curls to take this hairstyle to a whole different level!
17. Back Layered Pixie
The perfect messy pixie is created with layers. This haircut bleeds an edgy personality. The contrast between the layered hair and the sheared hair is absolutely mind-blowing. All you need to pull off this hairdo is attitude!
18. Platinum Pixie
Silver who? Gold what? Hello, platinum! All things platinum seems to be taking over the world – platinum albums, platinum rings, and now, platinum hair. But no one’s complaining because it looks killer.
19. Choppy Layers
Choppy layers are a great way to slim down your face and highlight chiseled cheekbones. They can also highlight other facial features like your eyebrows and eyes. The zig-zag parting adds oomph to the entire hairdo.
20. Waterfall Layers
If you feel your face is too small or round, add layers that start at the top of your head. These waterfall layers will add height to your face and give it a slimmer and longer appearance. The blonde layers also add texture to your tresses.
21. Layered Pixie
The layered pixie cut has to be one of the coolest hairdos of all time. It looks edgy and modern while still being a classic cut. Black really is the best color to sport a pixie cut in, but that’s just my opinion.
22. Diva Pixie
Not everyone can pull off this diva pixie. It takes a great amount of attitude and the right amount of hair color. The contrasting hair colors and the slick waves at the top make for a modern queen-licious hairdo.
23. Layers From The Back
You want layers but everyone has them? Try this! Layers that start at the back and head to the front. It’s the ideal messy but clean hairstyle. The layers join at the front to form deep side-swept bangs, which makes this hairstyle perfect for all face shapes.
24. The Asymmetrical Bob
This asymmetrical bob is a layered cut. It starts short on one side and gradually increases in length as it moves towards the other side. It takes great precision to cut the perfect asymmetrical bob, so go to a hair stylist instead of cutting it on your own.
25. Layered Undercut Pixie
The only way to amp up the undercut pixie is to add layers to it. It makes the classic pixie edgier and more badass. Throw in a nice blend of hair colors and brush your hair to one side to create an effortlessly cool look.
26. Layered Faux-Hawk
Many women want short hair but worry about it looking too passe or that they won’t be able to style it right. You can never go wrong with a faux-hawk, especially if you have a grungy sense of style. A layered faux-hawk with a dark lip shade is all you need to brighten your day.
27. Messy Pixie
Who doesn’t love a messy ‘do? Well, with short hair, you can have the best messy look! Add layers to your pixie, take some mousse or foam on your fingers, and rumple up your tresses to perfection!
We women love to flaunt our hair. That means we want our hair to look stunning 24/7, 365 days a year. Your hair needs love and care to be perfect. Here are some maintenance tips so that your short locks look their very best at all times.
How To Maintain Your Short Tresses
- Get regular trims! Short hair tends to grow faster until a certain point. Thus, it can look a little too shaggy and worn out. Getting regular trims will keep your hairdo in check and on point.
- Unless you are an expert hairstylist, I would advise you to get your hair cut at a salon instead of doing it yourself. It takes a lot of practice to do a perfect haircut, and short hair does not leave room for multiple tries.
- Wash your hair thrice a week. Short hair that is naturally oily can get greasy every other day. If you don’t wash your hair at least thrice a week, your hair and scalp will look extremely greasy. This will make your hair look like its thinning. Let’s not forget the hygiene aspect as well. Leaving greasy hair unwashed for long can aggravate flakiness and lead to build-up.
- Dilute the shampoo with water before using it. You will be washing your hair a lot, and the chemicals in your shampoo can seriously harm your locks. You can start using a natural shampoo, but that might not be a viable option for everyone as they are quite expensive. The simplest solution is to not use concentrated shampoo. By adding a little water, you get clean locks without using too much shampoo.
- Deep condition your tresses once every two weeks. Apply some conditioner to your hair and cover it with a shower cap. The heat and steam from your bath will deep condition your locks, leaving you with healthy, clean, and nourished hair.
Infographic: Reasons To Get A Short Layered Haircut
Short layered hair needs minimal styling and suits any occasion. It is a versatile haircut style that you can adjust to suit your appearance. You might love your long hair, and therefore, your hesitation to chop those locks off is understandable. However, if you are looking for a statement-making hair makeover, a short layered haircut is the best bet. If you still aren’t convinced, check out the fun infographic below to know more reasons to get it done.
Short hair is undoubtedly low maintenance and stylish. But sometimes, it might get a bit drab or boring not being able to style your hair in multiple hairstyles. This is where layers come into play. Layers add depth and dimension to your short tresses. They also help frame your face shape and highlight specific facial features. For example, if you have a short face, adding layers to the top (at the crown) can give you the appearance of a longer and leaner face shape. So, if you are looking for a chic and stylish new look this season, we recommend these timeless short-layered hairstyles for you to try out!
Frequently Asked Questions
How do you fix short layered hair?
You can let your short hair grow out before getting all the layers cut evenly. If you do not want to wait for it to grow out, your best bet is to approach a hairstylist to get it cut the right way.
How short should my layers be?
It depends on your preference. The space between the shortest and the longest layers can be less than 2 inches for short layers or several inches for long layers.